This recipe is great for when you need to defrost the freezer and have a huge bag of green string beans to use up. Or, for when you only have like 10 minutes to make dinner. Every ingredient stays in the freezer or cupboard for weeks or months until needed. Actual prep time takes only minutes – pancetta, green beans and couscous combine to make a great and healthy dinner at a moment’s notice.
- Pancetta cubes (smoked) – 65g / 1 cup / half of a packet from Tescos
- Frozen Green String Beans – 2 cups
- Couscous – 1 cup
- Boiling Water – 1 cup + 2 cups
- Chicken Stock Cube/Stock Pot
- Wholegrain Mustard – 1 tablespoon
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 1 tablespoon
- Frying pan
- Large mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- In a mixing bowl, add green beans and 2 cups of boiling water. No need to salt.
- Put couscous and chicken stock into a bowl, add 1 cup of boiling water, then cover with a plate/clingfilm.
- Set a frying pan on medium-high and add pancetta.
- Once the meat is nearly crisp, add the mustard and cider vinegar, and stir through. Be careful as this will spit!
- Drain the green beans and add them to the pan, making sure they’re evenly coated and beginning to sizzle.
- Once all the water is absorbed by the couscous, fluff it through with a fork.
- To serve: pile couscous on a plate, topping with the pancetta-beans. Serve with lemon wedges or a dollop of greek yogurt, if to hand.